This dish gets an A for presentation
This dish is best made leisurely, when you just want to hang around in the kitchen for a while: sipping wine, listening to the radio, surrounded by the smells of the sofrito. The recipe is best when you include the shrimp, scallops and squid but you can easily substitute other shellfish (as in the photo above). Adapted from the Seafood Paella recipe on the Mediterrasian website.
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbl parsley, chopped
1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes, mashed
.2 lbs large shrimp
.2 lbs squid tubes cut into rings
.2 lbs bay scallops
3.5 Tbl of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika (1/2 hot & 1/2 bittersweet)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cups (132 grams) Arborio rice
1.5 cups fish stock
a pinch of saffron threads
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup green peas, defrosted
- Heat fish stock in saucepan.
- Heat 1 Tbl olive oil in paella pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, 1 Tbl parsley and 1 garlic to paella pan for 8 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and paprika.
- Cook until all liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat one-half tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and 1 clove garlic. Cook for 1½ minutes, tossing continuously.
- Add squid rings and scallops. Cook another 1.5 minutes.
- Remove shellfish from pan. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cover, set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbl olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook peppers for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sofrito back to the pan along with the rice. Cook a minute, stirring to coat.
- Add hot stock, saffron, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Without stirring cook uncovered for 10 minutes. (Rotate pan around the burner.)
- Without stirring lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium-high for one and a half minutes, then remove pan from heat.
- Push seafood into the rice, and scatter with defrosted green peas.
- Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges
Approximately 411 calories per serving of Seafood Paella