Pescatarian Seafood Paella
This dish gets an A for presentation
Some paella recipes use chicken or chicken stock, while others include chorizo, kielbasa or prosciutto. This one uses vegetable stock and shrimp shells as the flavor for the base. The “meat” of the dish is shellfish.
This dish is best made leisurely, when you just want to hang around in the kitchen for a while: sipping wine, listening to the radio, surrounded by the smells of the sofrito. I like this recipe is best with just shrimp, but any combination of shellfish will work. Scallops, mussels and squid are all good options. Adapted from the Seafood Paella recipe on the Mediterrasian website.
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbl parsley, chopped
1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes, mashed
2/3 lb assorted shellfish
3.5 Tbl of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika (1/2 hot & 1/2 bittersweet)
3/4 cups (132 grams) Arborio rice
1.5 cups vegetable stock heated with shrimp shells
a pinch of saffron threads
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup green peas, defrosted
- Heat vegetable stock and shrimp shells in saucepan.
- Heat 1 Tbl olive oil in paella pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, 1 Tbl parsley and 1 garlic to paella pan for 8 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and paprika.
- Cook until all liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat one-half tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and 1 clove garlic. Cook 1 minute each side.
- Remove shrimp from pan and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbl olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook peppers for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sofrito back to the pan along with the rice. Cook a minute, stirring to coat.
- Add hot stock, saffron, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Without stirring cook uncovered for 10 minutes. (Rotate pan around the burner.)
- Without stirring lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium-high for one and a half minutes, then remove pan from heat.
- Push seafood into the rice, and scatter with defrosted green peas.
- Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges
Approximately 411 calories per serving of Seafood Paella