French Pear and Almond Tarte
Flaky crust, ripe pears and sweet almonds. This recipe is based on the one on David Lebovitz’s blog. I have also included a link to his article about poaching pears.
6 oz (170g) almond paste
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp flour
3 oz (85g) butter, salted or unsalted, cubed, at room temperature
1 large egg, plus one egg white, at room temperature
a few drops almond extract, optional
1 1/2 tsp rum
3 poached pears, cored, drained, blotted dry, cut into 1/2″ slices
One pre-baked 9-inch tart shell, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Set the pre-baked tart shell on a baking sheet.
- In a stand mixer, beat almond paste with sugar and flour, until smooth.
- Gradually beat in butter, until smooth
- Beat in egg and egg white, almond extract, and rum.
- Spread almond filling evenly over the tart shell
- Fan pears out evenly over almond filling, and press in slightly.
- Bake the tart 40-45 minutes, or until the almond filling between the pears has browned.
This pear and almond recipe serves 8.