The best thing about an early frost
This classic green tomato pie recipe is a super way to use up all those green tomatoes in your garden that, due to the weather, won’t have time to ripen. Adapted from the Green Tomato Pie recipe on the Taste of Home website.
1.5 cups (10.5oz) sugar
5 Tbl (1.32oz) all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups thinly sliced green tomatoes (about 5 medium)
1 Tbl cider vinegar
Pastry for 9” double-crust
1 tablespoon butter
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Add tomatoes and vinegar; toss to coat.
- Line a pie plate with bottom crust. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 350° F. for 1 hour or until tomatoes are tender.
- Cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Recipe serves 8 people
Green Tomato Pie approximately 213 calories per serving