About My Drawings Primarily self-taught as an artist, my drawings reflect my evolving interests and ideas – from the influence of broad disciplines like architecture and design, to specific historical periods like the Bauhaus and Art Deco movements. I also find inspiration in the everyday […]
Jasmine Rice Pilaf with Mustard Seed Recipe Some meals call for a simple rice dish. This jasmine rice pilaf with mustard seed looks lovely and is a step above plain rice. It goes particularly well with roasted broccoli. This recipe was adapted from the recipe […]
Roasted Broccoli Recipe
We eat a lot of broccoli at our house and this is the simplest and tastiest recipe of all. Blanching the broccoli will help preserve its bright color and crisp texture. Baking brings all the flavors together and adds a bit of caramelization for even more crunch. This Roasted Broccoli recipe is adapted from the Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli recipe on MyRecipes.com.
1/2 lb broccoli florets
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Blanch broccoli in boiling water 1 minute.
- Drain and plunge into ice water. Drain.
- Combine lemon rind, juice, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add broccoli; toss to combine.
- Arrange broccoli in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
This Roasted Broccoli recipe serves two as a side dish.
Approximately 92 calories per serving.
What To Do With All Those Green Beans? It’s a challenge every year to find new ways to process the things we grow in the garden. While canning, freezing, and drying are necessary to keep the harvest from ending up as compost, there’s nothing like […]
Gluten free dairy free cookie recipe I have family members who are gluten free and dairy free and I like to cook for them. However, it can be challenging to find a good gluten free dairy free cookie recipe. Consequently, when I found this one, […]
Fresh Homemade Guacamole Recipe
This guacamole recipe was adapted from the one in the Cookshelf Mexican cookbook by Parragon Publishing. I’m a big fan of these small, spiral bound cookbooks. The recipes are simple and reliably delicious.
1 ripe tomato
Juice of 1.5 limes
1/5 red onion
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely chopped
2 Tbl cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
- Prepare two bowls – one filled with ice water, the second empty and heatproof.
- Set tomato in heatproof bowl.
- Boil about one quart of water.
- Pour boiling water over the tomato.
- Cover and let sit 45 seconds.
- Remove tomato from hot water and plunge into ice water.
- Remove skin, cut in half, deseed and chop.
- Run now empty heatproof bowl under cold water and dry thoroughly.
- Squeeze juice from 1 1/2 limes into this bowl.
- Cut each avocado in half, remove the pit, and carefully scoop out flesh.
- Add avocados to bowl with lime juice and toss thoroughly. (This will keep avocados from turning brown.)
- Chop avocados coarsely.
- Add onions, tomato, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cilantro.
- Toss gently but thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately, cover completely and tightly and refrigerate.
Makes enough guacamole for four people.
Approx. 245 calories per serving.
Now This Is A Ginger Cookie! This simple ginger cookie recipe uses fresh, powdered, and crystallized ginger. The fresh and powdered gingers give it a deep, rich flavor, and the crystallized ginger gives it a real kick. The recipe was adapted from My Ginger Cookies […]