Crispy, crunchy and a little bit spicy
Try this Spiced Candied Walnuts recipe for something a little bit special and unexpected. So good on a cheese platter, served with other nuts and snacks, or on its own. This recipe was adapted from the Michael Chiarello recipe on the Food Network website.
Candied Walnuts with A Bit of Spice
4 cups (480 grams) walnut halves
1 cup (4oz) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1″ of oil to 350° F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add walnuts and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain.
- Transfer nuts to a large bowl and toss with confectioners’ sugar. (Nuts must still be hot!)
- Stir until sugar has completely melted.
- Use a large spoon to transfer a few nuts to the hot oil. (Let the foam subside before adding another spoonful.)
- Fry in small batches about 45 seconds.
- Scatter on an baking sheet to cool slightly.
- Stir cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper together in a separate small bowl.
- Transfer nuts to a large bowl and add the spice slowly, mixing constantly to distribute spices evenly.
- When cool, pack in an airtight container.
Makes about 4 cups.
Approx 234 calories per 1/4 cup of Spiced Candied Walnuts.