Spicy Cheddar Chive Rounds
At our house, they’re gone in just a day or two.
So delicious with an evening cocktail – even better alongside a cup of Homemade Classic Tomato Soup. This recipe makes one hundred Spicy Cheddar Chive Rounds, which sounds like a large quantity but they go very fast. I don’t know the origin of this recipe. It was given to me by Pam Ameen. Thanks, Pam!
Spicy Cheddar Biscuits
10oz grated sharp Cheddar cheese
4oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbl dried chives
3/4 to 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
6 Tbl cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheddar, parmesan, chives, hot pepper flakes and black pepper. Toss well.
- In another bowl, mix flour, butter and salt until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Add the flour mixture to the cheese mixture. Toss well.
- Stir in the buttermilk and mix until the dough can be gathered into a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead 10 to 15 seconds.
- Divide dough in half and roll each piece into a log 2.5″ in diameter.
- Wrap logs in wax paper and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- Slice the logs 1/4-1/2″ thick and arrange about 1 inch apart on 2 large baking sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes, then switch sheets.
- Bake another 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Makes approximately 100 biscuits.
Approximately 27 calories for each Spicy Cheddar Chive Round.