Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
For Adults: Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
There’s one cookie that most everyone loves, and that’s the chocolate chip cookie. This version is especially for adults. It’s crunchy rather than soft, uses bittersweet chocolate, sea salt and toasted walnuts. Adapted from David Leibovitz’s Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
115g salted butter, at room temperature
110g packed dark or light brown sugar
100g granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp flaky sea salt or kosher salt
200g coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
4.3oz toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into the beaten butter until combined.
- Mix in chopped chocolate and chopped nuts.
- Cover and chill batter overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Form dough into rounds about the size of a large unshelled walnut.
- Place on baking sheets, spaced evenly apart.
- Press down tops to flatten so no longer domed and dough even.
- Bake 10 minutes, rotating at 5 minutes. Cookies should look set, not browned.
- Remove from oven and quickly tap the top of each with a spatula.
- Return to the oven 2 minutes, until the tops are light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on sheet until firm enough to be moved to a cooling rack without breaking or changing shape – about two minutes.
Makes two dozen Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Approx. 162 calories each.