There are a fair amount of gluten-free people in my family. And as the most enthusiastic cook in the group, I am often assigned the dessert course. Making one dish that everyone can enjoy is always my intent—and I’ve tried a lot of gluten-free recipes. But the gluten-free option most often is not very good. It’s rarely something I want to waste calories on.
Then my cousin Lou shared this Gluten-Free Almond Cake recipe with us. I made it once and it immediately became a staple on our dessert table. It’s so popular now that at our last birthday get-together it was the only thing I made. No one was disappointed and everyone walked away happy and satisfied.
2 cups almond flour + more to prep the pan
6 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups (10.5oz) superfine sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 drops almond extract
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar to a smooth pale cream.
- Beat in the zests and almond extract.
- Add flour and mix very well.
- With clean beaters, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold them into the egg and almond mixture (the mixture is thick, so that you will need to turn it over quite a bit into the egg whites).
- Grease an 10″ non-stick springform pan with vegetable shortening and dust with almond flour.
- Pour in cake batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until it feels firm to the touch.
- Let cool before turning out.
- Cover with apricot jam, dust with confectioner’s sugar, and top with fresh berries.
This Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Almond Cake serves 10.
Approximately 295 calories per slice.
2 thoughts on “Almond Cake, Gluten & Dairy-Free”
OHHH! I can hardly wait to try this. I try to avoid sugar too, but not this round!
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.