flavorful Rustic tomato sauce
This is the very first tomato sauce I ever made, and it’s still my favorite. The sauce is chunky with plenty of fresh herbs and olive oil. Just right over homemade pasta, but it’s in lasagna that it really shines. This fresh tomato sauce recipe was adapted from the one in Seasonal Vegetarian Cooking from California Culinary Academy.
2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes (or 28oz can whole plum tomatoes)
4 Tbl fresh chopped parsley
2 Tbl fresh chopped basil
1 Tbl fresh chopped oregano
2 Tbl olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Chop tomatoes to medium dice. (If using canned, drain first. Set juice aside for future use.)
- Mince parsley, basil and oregano.
- Place oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano, honey, salt and pepper.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Makes approximately 2 cups of fresh tomato sauce.