I’d read about this recipe for years before deciding to give it a try. Now I’m asking myself what the heck I was waiting for. It is simple to prepare, tastes decadent, and is well under 400 calories per serving. If you’re trying to eat more seasonal produce, this will help get you started. This recipe was adapted from the one on Skinnytaste.
the Butternut squash recipe everyone will love
Olive oil spray
1/4 lb butternut squash, cubed
2.5 oz pasta
2/3 cup vegetable broth, divided
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbl panko breadcrumbs
1/2 Tbl Parmesan cheese
1 tsp unsalted butter
1/4 medium shallot, minced
1 Tbl all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbl (.5oz) shredded Gruyere cheese
2 Tbl (.5oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
Chopped chives, optional, for garnish
Sriracha sauce, optional, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spray a small glass baking dish with oil and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Add squash and boil until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- When fork tender, transfer squash with a slotted spoon to a blender.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- When cooked, drain and put back into pot.
- Meanwhile, add half the vegetable broth, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the blender with the squash.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over shallots and cook another minute.
- Add remaining broth and milk and whisk to combine.
- Bring sauce to boil, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk in cheese and puréed squash.
- Add sauce to noodles.
- Gently mix to combine, then transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and bake 25 minutes.
- Switch oven to broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crumbs start to brown.
This Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe serves 2.
Approximately 325 calories per serving.