THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE
This is one of those recipes that is best prepared when you’re not in a rush. The caramelized onions take about thirty minutes to cook but it’s what makes this recipe something special. This recipe was adapted from the one on the New York Times website.
4 Tbl butter
1 lb vidalia onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
2 tsp sherry wine vinegar
4 oz gruyere, shredded
4 slices Heidelberg sourdough bread
- Preheat cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, melt 2 Tbl butter.
- Add onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring a couple times.
- Lower heat, uncover and let cook 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When deep golden brown, transfer to a bowl and season with more salt and pepper.
- Add cheese to onions and stir to combine.
- Lay out two bread slices.
- Top each slice of bread with half the cheese/onion mixture, then another slice of bread and press gently.
- In still heated skillet, add 1 Tbl butter until it is melted.
- Add sandwiches to pan and let one side cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 Tbl butter and flip sandwiches.
- Cook another 3-4 minutes until cheese is fully melted and sandwiches are golden brown on both sides now.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Makes two sandwiches.
Approximately 791 calories each.