As a new cook, this became one of my first go-to recipes. A Pandowdy is a a kind of spiced apple pie baked in a deep dish with a top crust and no bottom crust. This recipe is adapted from the one on Epicurious.com.
1 Tbl unsalted butter, at room temperature, for pan
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) granulated sugar
2 Tbl plus 1 tsp cornstarch
Pinch of fine sea salt
4 large pears, peeled, cored, and sliced (2 lbs prepped)
1 Tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups (9 oz) raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 Tbl cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1.75 cups (8.75 oz) all-purpose flour
4 Tbl (1.75 oz) granulated sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
10 Tbl (5 oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/3 cup (2 oz) chopped candied ginger
2/3 cup plus 1 Tbl cold buttermilk
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400° F. Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Rub the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a large bowl, then add the pears and lemon juice and toss until evenly coated.
- Gently fold in the raspberries, then transfer the fruit to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the butter atop the fruit.
- To make the biscuit, whisk the flour, 3 Tbl sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the butter and toss until evenly coated. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the size of large peas.
- Stir in the candied ginger, then pour in the 2⁄3 cup buttermilk and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- The dough will be crumbly, with large pieces of butter still visible. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently press the dough together, then press it into a 9-inch circle.
- Carefully place the dough atop the fruit. Brush the dough with the 1 Tbl buttermilk,then sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tbl sugar.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven for 30 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350° F and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the juices are bubbly and thick.
Serves 8 large portions
Approximately 560 calories per slice of Gingered Pear and Raspberry Pandowdy.