Homemade Vegetable Broth Recipe
Easy to freeze homemade vegetable broth
There is no reason to buy vegetable broth at the store. Making it at home is so easy, there is no packaging to dispose of – even the leftover mush can be added to your compost! Make it the same every time or add whatever you’ve got around the house. We often add shrimp shells, the veins removed from fresh kale, even broccoli and asparagus skins.
2.5 Tbl Olive Oil
2 large Onions, chopped
1 lb Celery, chopped
1 lb Carrots, washed, unpeeled, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, whole
1 Bay Leaf
10 Whole Black Peppercorns
2.5 Tbl Tomato Paste
2 tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Tamari
1 Gallon Water
Handful Fresh Parsley
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot.
- Chop through the vegetable list as you’re cooking, placing them in the pot as you go.
- When done, pour in the water, turn up the heat and cover.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat to simmer and cook one hour.
- Take the top off the pan, turn up the heat and add the tamari. Cook 20 minutes.
- Strain out the veggies.
- Further strain it through cheesecloth.
Broth keeps one week in the refrigerator, and two months in your freezer.
Makes about 10 Cups