Oven-Roasted Tofu for Tofu, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches
This oven-roasted tofu recipe is adapted from the TLT (Tofu, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich) on EatingWell‘s website.
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chipotle peppers with adobo sauce. (Blend the entire contents of the canned chipotle chiles with adobo sauce, then spoon out 1 tsp for this recipe.)
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbl soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 475 °F.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, soy sauce and adobo sauce in a small bowl.
- Slice tofu into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
- Lay out one dishcloth on the counter.
- On top of the dishcloth, place a single layer of paper towel.
- Lay the eight tofu slices in a single layor on top of the towels.
- Cover the tofu slices with another single layer of paper towel.
- Top with a single dish towel.
- Now press down on the tofu slices to squeeze out some of the liquid.
- Place the tofu slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread half the mustard/soy sauce/adobo mixture on one side of the tofu slices.
- Turn slices over and spread the remainder on the other side.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
Most noteworthy, this tastes best same day, therefore it is recommended to use as soon as possible. Cover unused portion and store in the refrigerator, but be aware that the tofu loses moisture with each day. Consequently, after three days the tofu will be quite dry. Serving size is two slices.
Approximately 89 calories per serving.