New Favorite: Tomato Soup
His favorite soup is tomato. Consequently, I’ve tried well over a dozen tomato soup recipes and thought I had found my favorite, until this one by Jennifer Steinhauer showed up in the New York Times’ What to Eat This Week eblast.
1/2 lb salted butter
1 lb yellow onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
3 28oz cans diced tomatoes
3 cups homemade vegetable broth
1/4 cup (49.5g) sugar
1 Tbl kosher salt
1 tsp celery salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup half-and-half
2 Tbl honey
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onions.
- Cook slowly and gently, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, sugar, salt, celery salt and pepper.
- Raise heat to medium until bubbling, then reduce to low.
- Simmer 30 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot frequently.
- Stir in half-and-half and honey.
- Remove from heat and purée.
- Return to medium heat just until heated through. Serve hot.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Approximately 315 calories per bowl.