FREEFORM FRENCH CAKE
The galette dough and the filling can be made a day or two ahead, then assembled and cooked on the day. This recipe was adapted from the Maple-Pecan Galette with Fresh Ginger recipe on the New York Times website. In our pecan-ginger galette recipe, we’ve replaced the need for hard-to-find maple sugar.
FOR THE DOUGH
1 large egg, at room temperature
215 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 Tbl granulated sugar
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
10 Tbl/145 grams unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1-inch cubes
FOR THE FILLING
150 grams whole pecans
55 grams brown sugar + more for sprinkling on top
55 grams sugar in the raw + more for sprinkling on top
6 Tbl/85 grams unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into 1″ cubes
1 large egg, at room temperature, beaten
1 Tbl bourbon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbl maple syrup
TOAST THE PECANS
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Put metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer.
- Spread out pecans on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Transfer to plate to cool.
MAKE THE DOUGH
- Crack egg into a measuring cup and beat it with a fork.
- Add enough cold water to measure 1/3 cup.
- Transfer 1 Tbl of egg mixture to a small covered container. Refrigerate.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add cubed butter. Pulse until mixture has formed lima bean-size pieces.
- Drizzle in egg mixture. Pulse to combine.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface, and squeeze to form a ball. (Add a few drops of water if needed.)
- Flatten into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
MAKE THE FILLING
- Set aside 1/2 cup pecans for the topping.
- Put remaining 1 cup pecans in a food processor with sugars and process until finely ground.
- Pulse in the butter, egg, bourbon, vanilla, ginger, allspice and fine sea salt until smooth.
- Chill for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
ASSEMBLE THE GALETTE
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a work surface.
- Unwrap dough and place it in the center of the paper.
- Top with another piece of parchment.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into an 11″ round.
- Transfer dough and paper to a baking sheet.
- Remove top piece of parchment.
- Spoon pecan mixture onto the dough circle, leaving a 1.5″ border.
- Top with reserved whole pecans.
- Gently fold the pastry over the filling, pleating to hold it in.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, for 20 minutes (and up to 1 hour).
- Increase oven temperature to 375°.
MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM
- Using cold bowl and beaters, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Add syrup. Beat until firm.
- Brush pastry with reserved egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and very generously with + brown sugar/sugar in the raw mix.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
Cool galette for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
This pecan-ginger galette recipe serves 8.
Approximately 532 calories per slice (+ 86 calories whipped cream).