Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles
Crisp and perfectly seasoned
Adapted from the Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles recipe on the Brown Eyed Baker website.
1.5 lbs pickling cucumbers, sliced
1.5 Tbl kosher salt
3/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup (7oz) granulated white sugar
1/4 cup (1.875oz) packed light brown sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a bowl.
- Cover and chill 1.5 hours.
- Rinse cucumbers in a colander, to remove salt. Drain well.
- Return cucumbers to the bowl along with sliced onion.
- Combine sugars, vinegars, seeds and turmeric in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over cucumbers and onions.
- Let sit at room temperature for one hour.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours and up to 2 weeks.
Makes approximately: 4 cups
Approximately 74 calories per quarter cup of Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles