Crisp and perfectly seasoned
Adapted from the Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles recipe on the Brown Eyed Baker website.
1.5 lbs pickling cucumbers, sliced
1.5 Tbl kosher salt
3/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup (7oz) granulated white sugar
1/4 cup (1.875oz) packed light brown sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a bowl.
- Cover and chill 1.5 hours.
- Rinse cucumbers in a colander, to remove salt. Drain well.
- Return cucumbers to the bowl along with sliced onion.
- Combine sugars, vinegars, seeds and turmeric in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over cucumbers and onions.
- Let sit at room temperature for one hour.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours and up to 2 weeks.
Makes approximately: 4 cups
Approximately 74 calories per quarter cup of Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles