This dish gets an A for presentation
Some paella recipes use chicken or chicken stock, while others include chorizo, kielbasa or prosciutto. This one uses vegetable stock and shrimp shells as the flavor for the base. The “meat” of the dish is shrimp.
This dish is best made leisurely, when you just want to hang around in the kitchen for a while, listening to the radio, surrounded by the smells of the sofrito. Adapted from the Seafood Paella recipe on the Mediterrasian website.
Red onion, finely chopped – 1/2
Garlic cloves, minced – 2
Parsley, chopped – 2 Tbl
Extra virgin olive oil – 3.5 Tbl
Canned tomatoes, sliced, liquid drained – 1 cup
Paprika – 1 tsp
Shrimp – 2/3 lb
Red pepper, finely chopped – 1/2
Green pepper, finely chopped – 1/2
Arborio rice – 3/4 cups (132 grams)
Vegetable stock – 1.5 cups
Saffron threads, pinch – optional
Sea salt – 3/4 tsp
Freshly ground black pepper – 1/4 tsp
Green peas, defrosted – 1/2 cup
- Heat vegetable stock and shrimp shells in saucepan. Keep warm.
- Heat olive oil (1 Tbl) in paella pan over medium heat.
- Add onion (1/2), parsley (2 Tbl) and garlic clove to paella pan for 8 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes (1 cup) and paprika (1 tsp).
- Cook until all liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil (1/2 Tbl) over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and garlic. Cook 1 minute each side.
- Remove shrimp from pan and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, set aside.
- Heat olive oil (2 Tbl) over medium heat.
- Cook peppers for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sofrito back to the pan, along with the rice. Cook a minute, stirring to coat.
- Add hot stock, saffron, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Without stirring, cook uncovered for 15 minutes. (Rotating the pan periodically.)
- Without stirring, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium-high for one and a half minutes, then remove pan from heat.
- Push seafood into the rice, and scatter with defrosted green peas.
- Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges
This Pescatarian Seafood Paella serves 2.
Approximately 411 calories per serving of Seafood Paella