Hearty chili with warm, rich flavor
We tried at least a dozen vegetarian chili recipes before this one. None even came close to matching the complex flavors and textures of this dish. (To make this recipe gluten-free, just substitute quinoa for the bulgur.) Adapted from the Vegetarian Three-Bean Chipote Chili recipe on Hannaford’s website.
2 Tbl olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
28oz can crushed tomatoes
3 cups homemade vegetable broth
1/2 cup (4 oz) raw bulgur
2 (15 oz) cans chickepeas, drained
15 oz black beans, drained
15 oz kidney beans, drained
2 Tbl red wine vinegar
2 Tbl chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and carrots, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion and carrots are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chipotle chiles, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, bulgur, chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, vinegar, and spices.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until bulgur is tender and mixture thickens, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
Approx. 461 calories per serving