Homemade, Vegetarian Huevos Rancheros
I’m not sure when or where I first tried Huevos Rancheros. It certainly isn’t something I grew up eating, but today it’s one of my favorites. This dish is especially satisfying during the colder months–when appetites are extra large. And don’t restrict Huevos Rancheros to breakfast. It’s terrific for lunch or even supper.
This recipe was adapted from the one on the Epicurious.com website.
Making the Huevos Rancheros Sauce
8 oz whole tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
2 Tbl cilantro
1/2 Tbl chipotle chiles in adobo
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
Sauce Cooking Method
- Purée all ingredients in blender, except black beans, until smooth.
- Simmer everything, except beans, over medium-high heat until sauce becomes thick. Stir frequently.
- Once sauce is thick, add beans and cook another 5 minutes.
Assembling the Huevos Rancheros
Two flour tortillas
Huevos rancheros sauce (above)
4 large eggs
1 Tbl butter
2oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat two frying pans.
- When sauce is ready, cook eggs in butter.
- In the second dry pan, soften tortillas by heating them about 20 seconds per side.
- When ready, set the tortillas on a large baking sheet.
- Top with eggs, tomato/beans, sauce and cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Approx. 527 calories each.