Poached pears are the perfect complement to vanilla ice cream and an important ingredient in French Pear & Almond Tarte. This recipe was adapted from the How To Poach Pears article on David Lebovitz’s website.
Suggestion: Be sure to save the leftover poaching liquid. Reduce it slowly until it thickens–it makes an awesome sauce for Dutch Baby or dripped over vanilla ice cream.
1 quart water
265 grams sugar
4 Bosc pears
2 whole cloves
8 black peppercorns
6 allspice berries
2 star anise
8 fresh ginger slices
- Peel, core, and quarter pears.
- Heat water and sugar in a large saucepan until warm and sugar is dissolved.
- Add spices.
- Gently place pears into pan.
- Cover with a round of parchment paper, with a small hole cut in the center.
- Keep liquid at a slow boil, 15-25 minutes, until the pears are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let pears cool in their liquid.