Made in the Food Processor
145 grams all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
3 Tbl ice water
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter and process on high until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add ice water and mix for about 30 seconds, until a soft dough forms. Remove from bowl.
- On counter, shape into large disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring to room temperature before rolling.
- Lightly flour dough and counter.
- Roll dough, letting it rest for a moment periodically, to approximately 13″ across.
- Using a 12″ pan, trim to make a 12″ circle. (Save trimmings, refrigerate, and use for patching.)
- In a 9 1/2″ fluted tart pan with removable bottom, lay the dough loosely.
- Make sides double thickness by folding back the overlap.
- Press firmly against the pan. The finished edge will be a bit higher than the pan.
- Refrigerate for one hour before pre-baking.
Precisely how long to pre-bake (blind bake) the crust can depend on what you’re filling it with.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 400° F.
- Use a fork to pierce the bottom and sides of the crust.
- Line the pan with a double thickness of aluminum foil.
- Fill foil with dried beans, distributed equally across the bottom and partly up the sides.
- Bake atop the preheated sheet 10-12 minutes. (The edges will turn golden, but not the bottom, yet.)
- Remove baking sheet and pie pan from oven.
- Lift foil and set beans aside.
- Return pie and baking sheet to oven.
- For crusts that will be cooked once filled: bake 6-8 minutes, until the crust begins to color. For cream or refrigerated pies, bake about 15 minutes, until evenly golden.
- Remove shell from oven, brush inside with an egg wash (1 beaten egg, 1 Tbl water).
- Return to the oven until egg wash is dry and shiny, appox. 3 minutes.