This is the simplest and tastiest stir fry we’ve ever tried. The vegetables come out brightly colored and perfectly cooked, and it’s only 315 calories. Top it all off with the fact that cooking time is less than five minutes! This Asparagus and Mixed Vegetable Stir-Fry recipe is adapted from the one on the Spruce Eats website.
Asparagus, cut in 3″ lengths – 1/2 lb
Scallions, in 2” lengths – 4
Fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced -3 oz
Bean sprouts – 1 cup
Red bell pepper, cleaned and sliced into thin strips – 1/2
Canola oil – 2 Tbl
Sherry – 1 Tbl
For the Stir-fry Sauce
Oyster sauce – 3 Tbl
Fish sauce – scant 1 Tbl
Sambal oelek – 1 tsp
Shrimp paste – scant 1 tsp
Drizzle at end
Sesame oil – 2 tsp
- Prep vegetables and place in four bowls.
Bowl 1: asparagus (1/2 lb)
Bowl 2: carrot and mushrooms (3oz)
Bowl 3: scallions (4) and bell pepper (1/2)
Bowl 4: bean sprouts (1 cup)
- Combine oyster sauce (3 Tbl), fish sauce (1 Tbl), sambal oelek (1 tsp) and shrimp paste (1 tsp) in small bowl and stir.
- Set aside.
- Heat wok and add canola oil (2 Tbl).
- When the oil is hot, add asparagus and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add sherry (1 Tbl) to carrot and mushrooms.
- Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add scallions (4) and bell pepper (1/2).
- Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add bean sprouts (1 cup) and sauce.
- Stir-fry 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Drizzle with sesame oil.
- Toss to combine and serve.
This Asparagus with Mixed Vegetable Stir-Fry recipe serves 2.
Approximately 283 calories per serving.
Optional: Try it over noodles! Cook the noodles separately, drain, and toss with vegetables and sauce before serving.