JAPANESE EGGPLANT RECIPE
This dish is easy and quick and the sauce is delicious. It is based on the recipe on the Feasting At Home website. Szechuan Eggplant is delicious over rice or noodles.
3/4 lb Japanese eggplant
1 tsp salt
1 Tbl cornstarch
2 Tbl peanut oil
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
1 tsp mined ginger
5 dried red chiles
1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns, roughly crushed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sambal oelek
1 Tbl sesame oil
1 Tbl rice wine vinegar
1 Tbl Chinese cooking wine
3 Tbl brown sugar
1/2 tsp five spice powder
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch thick half moons.
- Place in a bowl covered with water.
- Stir in 1 tsp salt.
- Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Chop garlic and ginger.
- Place these along with soy, sambal oelek, sesame oil, rice vinegar, Chinese cooking wine, sugar, and five spice powder in a small bowl and whisk.
- Drain and rinse the eggplant and pat dry with a towel.
- Toss with corn starch.
- Heat 1 Tbl oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the eggplant, spreading them out.
- Let one side brown then turn them over using tongs. (This will take about 10 minutes.)
- Set eggplant aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon oil to the skillet.
- Over medium heat, add the garlic and ginger, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add dried chiles and stir one minute.
- Pour Szechuan sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer for 20 seconds.
- Add the eggplant back into the skillet, tossing gently for about 1 minute.
- Place in a serving dish and top with scallions and peanuts.
This Szechuan Eggplant recipe serves two people.
Approximately 349 calories per serving.