Fluffy Buttery Homemade Ginger Scones
Buttery on their own. Even better served with preserves, lemon curd or even more butter. These ginger scones also freeze nicely. Wrap individually in waxed paper and put them all in a freezer bag. To reheat, take out one at time. Put on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 300° and cook for 10 minutes. Adapted from the recipe on the Fine Cooking website.
2 cups (9oz) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup (4oz) medium-finely chopped crystallized ginger
6 Tbl (3oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 large egg lightly beaten with 1 Tbl milk for glazing
1.5 tsp granulated sugar
- Position oven rack in the lower third of oven and heat to 400°F.
- Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and ground ginger.
- Add crystallized ginger, tossing until the pieces are evenly coated with flour.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until the largest pieces of butter are about the size of peas.
- In a small bowl, stir the cream and egg yolks just to blend.
- Add this all to the flour mixture.
- Stir with fork to begin combining, the wet and dry ingredients.
- Use your hands to gently knead the mixture until all the dry ingredients are absorbed into the dough and it can be gathered into a moist, shaggy ball.
- Don’t overknead: This dough benefits from minimal handling.
- Set the rough ball in the center of the prepared baking sheet and pat it gently into a round about 1” thick and 7” in diameter.
- Cut the round into eight wedges; separate the wedges.
- Brush scones with the egg-milk glaze (you won’t need to use all of it) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until scones are deep golden a toothpick inserted into the center of the wedge comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.
- Slide the parchment onto a rack and let the scones cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This Double Ginger Scone recipe makes 8 scones.
Approximately 362 calories each.