Puts leftover bread on a pedestal
This recipe is adapted from the one on the BBC GoodFood website.
whole milk, 1 cup
heavy cream, 1.25 cup
vanilla extract, 1 tsp
eggs, 3 whole + 1 yolk
confectioner’s sugar, 3 Tbl
sliced bread, 8
salted butter, 1/2 stick (4 Tbl)
sultanas, 40 grams
raisins, 35 grams
lemon, half zested
sugar in the raw, 2Tbl
- Heat oven to 350° F.
Make the Custard
- Heat milk and cream in a saucepan to just below boiling point.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs and yolk with the confectioner’s sugar.
- Slowly pour the warm milk mixture, over the eggs, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract
Prepare the Pudding
- Lightly butter an ovenproof dish approximately 7x9x2.
- Cut crusts from bread slices, butter both sides, and cut into triangles.
- Lay half of the slices in the bottom of the dish, overlapping a little.
- Mix dried fruit with lemon zest and sprinkle half of the mix over the bread.
- Add second and final layer of the bread on top.
- Sprinkle over the remaining fruit.
- Cover and rest in the fridge.
Ready to Cook
- Remove from fridge and sprinkle sugar evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Should be golden brown and puffed up.
Reheating Bread and Butter Pudding
Preheat to 350°. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
This English bread and butter pudding recipe serves 6.
Approximately 545 calories per serving.