This recipe is adapted from the one on the New York Times website.
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 lemon, preferably a Meyer lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
4 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
3/4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp sriracha
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground coriander
8 oz chickpeas, drained and blotted dry
1/2 pound baby or fingerling potatoes, cut into quarters
1 rosemary sprig
1/3 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1/8 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
2 Tbl chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
2 Tbl chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
1/2 large garlic clove, finely grated or minced
Fresh lemon juice, as needed
- Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of oven and heat to 425°.
- Bring a small pot of heavily salted water to a boil.
- Add lemon slices and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel and cut slices into quarters.
- On a rimmed sheet pan, toss cauliflower, tomatoes and jalapeños with 2 Tbl oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Fold in lemon slices.
- Place pan on bottom rack of oven and roast, tossing every 10 minutes, until well-browned, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbl oil, cumin seeds, tomato paste, Tabasco, ground turmeric, cumin and coriander.
- On a separate rimmed sheet pan, toss together chickpeas, potatoes, spice-oil mixture and salt to taste.
- Top with rosemary sprigs.
- Roast on top rack until potatoes are golden, 30 to 40 minutes, tossing mixture halfway through.
- Remove pan and toss with more salt to taste.
- While everything is roasting, make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, dill, basil, parsley, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Taste and add more salt or lemon if needed.
- To serve, toss roasted chickpeas and potatoes with cauliflower mixture. Drizzle with more oil, yogurt sauce and herbs.
This Spiced Chickpeas with Cauliflower and Roasted Lemon recipe serves two.
Approximately 563 calories per serving.