This recipe is adapted from the one on the New York Times website.
Kosher salt, as needed
Lemon, preferably Meyer, thinly sliced, seeded – 1/2
Cauliflower, bite-size pieces – 4 cups
Cherry tomatoes, halved – 3/4 cups
Jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil – 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Tomato paste – 1/2 tsp
Sriracha – 1/4 tsp
Ground turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Ground cumin – 1/4 tsp
Ground coriander – 1/8 tsp
Chickpeas – 8 oz
Shiitake mushrooms – 3 oz
Baby or fingerling potatoes, quartered – 1/2 lb
Plain whole-milk yogurt – 1/3 cup
Fresh mint, chopped – 1/8 cup
Fresh basil, chopped, 2 Tbl
Parsley, chopped – 2 Tbl
Garlic clove, grated or minced – 1/2
Fresh lemon juice, as needed
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Bring a small pot of heavily salted water to a boil.
- Add lemon slices and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain, pat dry with a clean kitchen towel and cut slices into quarters.
- On a rimmed sheet pan, toss cauliflower, tomatoes and jalapeños with 2 Tbl oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Fold in lemon slices.
- Place pan in oven and roast.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbl oil, cumin seeds, tomato paste, Tabasco, ground turmeric, cumin and coriander.
- Toss together chickpeas, potatoes and spice-oil mixture on a second rimmed sheet pan.
- Top with rosemary sprigs.
- Put sheet pan with potatoes/chickpeas in oven.
- When both sheet pans are in the oven, set timer for 5 minutes.
- When 5 minutes are up, remove the cauliflower/tomato/jalapeño sheet pan from the oven and toss.
- Keep both two sheet pans in the oven for another 20 minutes, shaking the cauliflower/tomato sheet pan every ten minutes, so that the veggies unstick from the pan and are lightly tossed.
- Stir the chickpea/potatoes pan after 20 minutes.
- While everything is roasting, make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, dill, basil, parsley, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combines what’s on the sheet pans and the sauce and serve.
This Spiced Chickpeas with Cauliflower and Roasted Lemon recipe serves two.
Approximately 563 calories per serving.