This recipe was adapted from the Soba Noodles and Ginger Broth with Crispy Ginger recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi on the New York Times website.
For the Toppings
3 Tbl olive oil
.75 tsp red-pepper (chilli) flakes
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
About 15 gram piece fresh ginger, peeled and microplaned
1/2 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbl (10 grams) panko bread crumbs
1/2 Tbl white and black sesame seeds
For the Broth
1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
About 35 gram piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 head of garlic, halved crosswise
For the Noodles
4 oz soba noodles
1 Tbl fresh lime juice
1 Tbl soy sauce
5 grams roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Prepare the toppings:
- Add 2 Tbl oil to a small skillet and heat gently over medium.
- Place red-pepper flakes and paprika into a small heatproof bowl.
- Once oil is quite hot but not smoking, pour it over the spices.
- Set aside while you make the ginger crumbs.
- Add remaining 1 Tbl oil to skillet and heat over medium-high.
- Once hot, turn heat down to medium and add the ginger and shallot.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until browned and starting to crisp.
- Add the 2 Tbl panko, 1/2 Tbl sesame seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook 4-6 minutes more, stirring often, until nicely toasted.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Make the broth
- Add 1.25 cups broth, ginger, shallot and garlic plus 1/3 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt to a medium lidded saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cover once simmering, turn the heat down to low and cook for 25 minutes.
- Drain through a sieve set over a bowl, discarding the solids, and return the broth to the saucepan along with another 2/3 cup hot water.
- Keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.
Prepare the noodles
- Boil noodles according to package instructions.
- Drain well and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Return the drained noodles to the pot and toss with the 1 Tbl lime juice, 1 Tbl soy sauce and cilantro.
- Divide the broth between two bowls and add noodles.
- Top with a spoonful of the ginger crumbs and a spoonful of chile oil.
- Serve the remaining chile oil alongside.
One serving of this Ginger Noodles recipe serves 2.
Approximately 324 calories per serving.