This dinner for two
The brown sauce has a strong and wonderful flavor that enhances both the fish and the simply prepared vegetables. It was adapted from the recipe on the Food Network website. For a complete meal, serve it alongside Jasmine Rice Pilaf.
1/3 tsp peppercorns
2 tsp sugar
3 Tbl soy sauce
2 Tbl white rum
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
1lb tilapia fillets
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 Tbl peanut oil
1.5 cups julienned mixed vegetables: carrots, zucchini, peppers, asparagus
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a dry skillet, toast the peppercorn over medium heat until puffs of smoke begin to appear, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a mortar and crush roughly.
- In a small saucepan, simmer sugar, soy sauce, rum, lemon zest, and lemon juice over medium heat.
- Add the peppercorn/clove mixture, ginger and garlic powder, and reduce by half.
- Remove from heat, strain and let cool.
- Place the fillets in the cooled marinade and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat.
- Remove the fish from the marinade. Season the fillet with salt and pepper.
- Place the marinade in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- Add oil to the skillet, and sauté fillets for 2 minutes on each side.
- Spread the julienned vegetables on a baking pan.
- Place fillets on the vegetables and finish in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until done.
- Brush marinade on finished fish.
- Serve with vegetables.
This Golden Tilapia with Roasted Vegetables recipe serves 2.
Approximately 272 calories per serving.