WITH YOGURT AND SALSA
Souvlaki is a Greek dish of meat or fish on skewers. Cooked under the broiler in about five minutes, the swordfish comes out firm and moist. Wrap it up in a pita and top it off with the yogurt mix and a light, fresh salsa. This is a satisfying, low calorie meal that tastes super fresh. This Swordfish Souvlaki recipe was adapted from the one on the Epicurious website.
1/2 lb skinless swordfish steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 Tbl fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
3 Joseph’s Pitas
1/2 large cucumber
3oz plain whole milk yogurt
3/4 tsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp chopped garlic, mashed to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small plum tomato, chopped small
1/4 small red onion, cut into slivers
2 Tbl fresh flat-leafed parsley
2 metal skewers
- Preheat oven to 200° F.
- In a bowl, toss swordfish with lemon juice, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill.
- Cut pitas in half. Set aside.
- Peel and seed cucumber, then grate.
- Wrap cucumber in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove liquid.
- In a small bowl, stir together cucumber, yogurt, mint, garlic paste, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine tomatoes, onion, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Thread fish onto skewers.
- Broil, turning once, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove fish from skewers.
- Serve cucumber mixture and tomato in small bowls.
- Use the pita as a wrap.
This Swordfish Souvlaki recipe serves 2.
Approximately 281 calories per serving.