This low-cal version of classic risotto is adapted from the one on SkinnyTaste.com. It’s a simple recipe but it requires your undivided attention. The asparagus-mushroom risotto must be stirred gently, and almost constantly, for almost 30 minutes.
Asparagus-Mushroom Risotto Recipe
2 cups homemade vegetable broth
1 tsp olive oil
3 Tbl shallots, chopped
100 grams (about 1/2 cup) arborio rice
1 oz dry white wine
1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut 2-inches long
3 large crimini mushrooms, sliced not too thin
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbl fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
grated zest of one lemon
- In a large saucepan, heat broth over medium-high heat.
- When it boils, reduce heat to a simmer and maintain over low heat.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tsp oil.
- Add shallots and sauté 3-4 minute.
- Add rice; mix well to coat.
- Sauté until the rice is slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 oz wine and stir until absorbed.
- Add 2/3 cup of the simmering stock.
- Stir and wait until it is absorbed before adding another 2/3 cup.
- Stir gently and almost constantly.
- Continue until the rice is creamy, tender but slightly firm – about 20 minutes total.
- Add the asparagus, mushrooms, salt and pepper, along with the last ladle of broth.
- Continue cooking 5 minutes.
- When all the liquid is absorbed, remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 tsp lemon juice, 2 Tbl parsley and 1/4 cup cheese.
This Asparagus-Mushroom Risotto serves two.
Approximately 292 calories per serving.